Saturday, October 07, 2006

a thousand days.

need time. discipline. to focus. to pray for strength. exams are looming. week 9 creeps in slowly, destroying my weekend. troubles. seek first the kingdom of God. japan trip. exams first. seattle. preparing for youth conference. priorities.

radio interview was fun. it was relaxed although there was a hint of nervousness of not wanting to talk nonsensical rubbish on live radio (that's beamed to the whole of singapore with thousands of people tuning in) or just blank out. that's the thing about live shows. and the deejay stanley was so calm and professional, doing the thing his whole life. i saw how they do traffic reports, weather updates, news, business updates, commercials etc. dj-ing seems fun.

my name sounds weird when pronounced in the english way, without the chinese sounds. sometimes i cringe when people say it. i cringe when i say it to introduce myself to non-chinese people. hence i was thinking of adopting an english name just for the seattle exchange. if you know any nice name that sounds like my name pls tag me. =)

***

the sweetest song any man can sing for a woman and really mean the words from the bottom of his heart. i wished one day a man would sing it for me. and mean it. bonus points if it's the singer. haha. i wish.

Everything I Have
- Clay Aiken

I feel like I never measure up to who you see
Sometimes I think I can't give you all the love you need
You keep changing everyday
Amazing me in everyway.

If I could be the perfect man in your eyes
I would give all I'm worth to be a part of your life
I could promise the world but it's out of my hands
I can only give you everything I have

I never dreamed I could ever feel the way I do
I hope and pray I will always be enough for you
I can only do my best
I have to trust you with the rest

If I could be the perfect man in your eyes
I would give all I'm worth to be a part of your life
I could promise the world but it's out of my hands
I can only give you everything I have

I promise I will hold you through the changes and fears
When life seems unclear
And when I can't be right there with you
I know there's angels by your side

If I could be the perfect man in your eyes
I would give all I'm worth to be a part of your life
I could promise the world but it's out of my hands
I can only give you everything... I have

***

you know i get so much joy from reading Romans. Romans 6 onwards talks a lot about sin and God. and it is really quite insightful reading what Paul wrote. i love what these verses say about sin.

"For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."
- Romans 8:3-4

the law could not free man from sin. the law still did not deter man from sinning just because it's in our nature to sin. we just can't help it. we're weak. but God freed us from the clutches of sin by sending His Son to earth as that same man, and He condemned sin and enabled us to walk according to the Spirit instead of the flesh which is weak and sinful. and we're no longer condemned to sin but now we walk with righteousness and grace with the Spirit.

i love Romans 8 especially. because it goes on to talk about how the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses and being the bridging gap between God and our prayers. and that

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."
- Romans 8:28

and then it goes on to talk about God's everlasting love. which is always comforting to me.

"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- Romans 8:38-39

there's really really nothing that could separate us from God's love. "If God is for us, then who can be against us?" - Romans 8:31b. really.

i'm always so glad and encouraged whenever things go haywire in my life i know i can always fall back on God's grace and love. whenever people disappoint me or circumstances are just horrifying or i become a disappointment to others.

***

there is an alarming number of top-notch, research papers-publishing, award-winning scientists and researchers settling down in singapore doing research. looks like our government is doing a good job wooing them all here so they can come to my school and give inspirational lectures. ok some part of it is boring. but nevertheless impressive and amazing when i google for information for my tutorials and i see..ehhh that's my lecturer! he has published hundreds of papers on the exact thing that he was teaching us! like the recent phillippe taupin, a master researcher of adult neurogenesis in mammals and humans. his french accent is really quite a challenge. and he jokingly admits it himself. so cute.

and sir david lane just finished his series of cancer lectures with us. the stuff he talked about are sooo up-to-date and current, our textbooks have no mention of them. we have to google. sad. but very inspiring. =)

***

Ian's birthday party at wine network at dempsey road was nice. =) met new people. wore my new dress. since he insisted that the dress code for girls is dresses. happy birthday my dear friend. may you have many more birthdays to come and happy times to go through and i know you like growing old. so must smile more ok? and stop being so cynical.

just came back from a triple birthday celebration at the labrador park restaurant. with good food, good wine, good company and the annoying haze. PSI is now at 140. i feel like my lungs are clogged up. birthday people are joyce, grace and davier, in order of age. happy birthday my dearests! welcome to club21 ahahaha. and the age of votes, singapore shares, R21 movies, organ donation and abortions without parental consent.

***

i love this song!

Spirit Wings

Some birds lived in cages
They never learnt to fly
and like those birds i've never found my wings
but Lord Your love release me
so i could see the sky
and now my heart rejoices as i sing

Spirit wings
You lift me over all the earth-bound things
and like a bird my heart is flying free
i'm soaring on the song your spirit brings
O Lord of all
You've let me see
A vision of Your majesty
You lift me up and carry me on Your spirit wings

Now when I'm feeling lonely
I just look to you
and soon my heart is soaring high above
everything is clearer
from Your point of view
lifted up on Spirit wings of love

Spirit wings
You lift me over all the earth-bound things
and like a bird my heart is flying free
i'm soaring on the song your spirit brings
O Lord of all
You've let me see
A vision of Your majesty
You lift me up and carry me on Your spirit wings

***

and back to adult neurogenesis and its fascinating facts and questions. i'm always so fascinated with neurobiology. sadly it's a killer subject to study for.

out.

***

"But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- Romans 6:22-23

This girl posted at 4:42 PM